- Three Reasons Why Americans Don't Insure Their Income - (December 10, 2014)
National Survey Reveals Need for Consumer Education About the Chances of Being Unable to Work
- Council for Disability Awareness Announces Increased Commitment to Educate Young Working Consumers
- Carol A. Harnett Named President of Council for Disability Awareness - T (July 9, 2014)
- 2013 Long Term Disability Claim Payments Increase To $9.8 Billion - (June 17, 2014)
- Disability Reinsurance Management Services Joins Council For Disability Awareness (December 4, 2013)
- Long Term Disability Claim Payments Increase While the Number of Covered Workers Rises(June 18, 2013)
- New Research Shows "Disability Divide" Between Employee and Employer Perceptions(May 23, 2013)
- The Council for Disability Awareness Appoints New Board Chairman(March 25, 2013)
- Working Americans to Master Income Protection Skills On the Go(February 20, 2013)
- Mutual of Omaha Joins Council for Disability Awareness(January 31, 2013)
- Consumers Battle to Defend Their Income(September 12, 2012)
- Claims from Baby Boomers and Women Contribute to Long Term Disability Claim Increase(August 29, 2012)
- American Fidelity Assurance Joins Effort to Raise Awareness of Disability Risk and Need for Planning, Income Protection(April 3, 2012)
- AIG Benefit Solutions Joins Effort to Raise Public Awareness of Disability Risk and Need for Planning, Income Protection(February 14, 2012)
- The Great Disability Divide: Gap Between Consumer and Advisor Perceptions Presents Significant Opportunities(December 5, 2011)
- Personal Disability Quotient Now Available in Spanish(November 28, 2011)
- CDA Releases 2011 Long-Term Disability Claims Review: $8.3 Billion Paid in Claims Last Year(September 22, 2011)
- Aetna Joins Effort to Increase Disability Awareness, Planning and Prevention(July 27, 2011)
- Website Illustrates Growing Number of Disabling Illnesses and Injuries(May 17, 2011)
- The Great Disability Divide: Significant Gap Between Employee Perception and Reality(January 13, 2011)
- The CDA Helps More People Understand Risks of Disability(September 15, 2010 )
- CDA Releases 2010 Long-Term Disability Claims Review (June 17, 2010 )
- UnitedHealthcare Specialty Benefits Joins Effort to Increase Awareness for Disability Planning and Prevention(May 5, 2010 )
- OneAmerica Joins Effort to Increase Awareness for Disability Planning and Prevention(February 16, 2010 )
- Disability Rates Continue Steady Climb, According to CDA's 2008 Disability Claims Review(September 10, 2009)
- Barry Lundquist Named Interim President of Council for Disability Awareness(June 25, 2009)
- A New Number Everyone Should Know: Their PDQ (March 31, 2009)
- Disability: Are Americans Prepared to Risk Their Retirement Security? (June 17, 2008)
- New Data Shows Continued Growth of Long-Term Disability Claims and Decline in Social Security Disability Insurance Applications Approval Rate (May 13, 2008)
- New Online Resource Available for Financial Advisors to Help Clients Understand and Prepare for Disability
- CDA Releases 2008 Worker Disability Planning and Preparedness Survey
- Disabilities Rising Among Workers; Need for Employer-Driven Disability Awareness, Support Efforts Also Increases (September 25, 2007)
- Council for Disability Awareness Releases 2006 Claims Review from Leading Insurers, Social Security Data: Review Reveals Continuing and Emerging Disability Trends(May 1, 2007)
- Most Workers Underestimate Chances, Impact of Disability, Survey Shows: Misinformation, Poor Planning Can Threaten Financial Security(March 7, 2007)
- Disability on the Rise: New Resources Available to Help Consumers Understand Disability and Better Prepare(October 31, 2006)
(August 4, 2014)
Mary Beth Storjohann, Gen Y financial expert, joins nonprofit in raising awareness of the need for income protection
Nonprofit taps industry leader to further its mission of disability awareness and education
Council for Disability Awareness Releases Ninth-Annual Long Term Disability Claims Review
Insurance company becomes newest member of the Council for Disability Awareness
Reinsurer strengthens the movement to educate working Americans about the risk and impact of experiencing a disability
Council for Disability Awareness releases eighth annual Long Term Disability Claims Review
Council for Disability Awareness study shows greater need for education and guidance about disability benefits
Dan McMillan of The Standard continues CDA's mission to educate working Americans on the importance of income protection
Council for Disability Awareness Launches new app that provides consumers with interactive tools to demonstrate importance of income protection
National effort to educate working Americans about the risk of disability and importance of income protection gains momentum
Council for Disability Awareness launches educational campaign targeting working Americans
Council for Disability Awareness releases seventh annual Long Term Disability Claims Review
Insurance company is the newest member of the Council for Disability Awareness
Insurance company is the newest member of the Council for Disability Awareness
New research shows greater need for education and planning
Interactive Tool Estimates Your Personal Disability Quotient
Sixth Annual Review Shows Economy a Factor in Rise of Disabilities, Claims
Leading Health Insurer Becomes Newest Member of the CDA
CDA's Disability Counter highlights prevalence of injuries and illnesses
New research results show need for more employee education about income protection
Offers Printed Version of Popular PDQ Calculator
2010 Disability Claims Review: $8.1 Billion Paid to Disabled Individuals
5th Annual Review Shows Disabilities, Claims on the Rise
Insurance Company Becomes Newest Member of the Council for Disability Awareness,
Gregory Poulakos Appointed to CDA Board of Directors
Insurance Company Becomes Newest Member of the Council for Disability Awareness
Public and Private Disability Insurance Claim Payments Exceed $100 billion
Council for Disability Awareness Offers Tool to Calculate Your Personal Disability Quotient
Council for Disability Awareness White Paper Addresses Erosion of Traditional Financial Support for Disabled Workers and Its Effects on Retirement
Council for Disability Awareness Releases its 2007 Claims Review from Leading Insurance Companies and Social Security Administration Data
New CDA Web Site Offers Employers Resources to Help Employees Become Aware of, Plan for Financial Consequences of Disability
- Protect Yourself: Plan in Case of Disability
- Are You Covered For Disability?
- What is Your Personal Disability Quotient?
- Workers Unprepared For Disability
- Disability: An Overlooked Threat to Retirement
- Women More Vulnerable to Economic Impact of Disability
- Recession Risks Make it More Important than Ever to Plan for Disability
- Expert: Financial Preparedness Critical to Heart Disease Sufferers
- HR Field of Dreams: Company Finds If You Mention It, They Will Participate
- Complications From Diabetes Can Significantly Impact Americans' Financial Stability
- Watch Your Weight and Your Wallet: Don't Let Disability Sideline Your Financial Health in 2008
- Financial Planning: Your Greatest Asset is Your Ability to Earn an Income
- Overweight, Obese Workers at Greater Risk for Disability, Financial Woes
- Women and Disability
- Disability Claims Review Reveals 2006 Continuing and Emerging Trends
- American Workers Denying Realities, Consequences of Disability
- Preparing for Life's Uncertainties: A Wise Investment
- Workers Can't Afford Disability's Steep Price Tag
- Causes of Disability May Surprise You
- Disability: It Can Happen to You
- New Web Site Provides Information to Protect Wage Earners from Disability
CDA Articles in the News
ReutersJob disability a headache for recovery
Even though only 35 percent of applicants are awarded disability, those receiving disability benefits now account for 5.6 percent of the working age population, up from about 4.5 percent in 2007.
National UnderwriterIncome Protection: Are You Asking These 3 Questions?
As a trusted advisor, you go out of your way to safeguard your clients and the employees who work at your clients' firms from loss. Undoubtedly, their major assets, like their homes and cars, are protected. But what about their most important financial resource?
Wall Street JournalIs Disability Coverage a Buy?
Disability insurance has long been the stepchild of employee benefits, ignored by workers until it's needed. But with employee costs rising and company open-enrollment season beginning, it's worth a closer look.
ReutersAnalysis: Employee disability benefits get costlier, complicated
It is becoming more common for employees to pick up some of the cost of workplace benefits, as opposed to the employer. This article stresses the importance of making an informed decision about your benefits - know what you are paying for and take responsibility for understanding the value.
Five Group Disability Insurance Myths
Debunk common misconceptions and avoid having a false sense of security. CDA encourages education and a financial plan as a good start.
National UnderwriterDisability Insurance Views
The recession has driven home the notion that a person's most valuable asset is their ability to earn an income. Key points from the Council for Disability Awareness (CDA) 2011 Claims Survey support this message. (PDF)
Washington PostEmployers shift disability insurance cost to workers and trim benefits
Disability insurance is an often overlooked and misunderstood benefit. As more employers shift the cost of this benefit to employees, it is important to understand and evaluate your options to be sure you are adequately covered.
Agent's Sales JournalThe Affordability of Disability, Helping employers understand the perils of dropping disability coverage
In today's economy, several employers may be cutting disability insurance due to cost. However, the stark reality and industry statistics demonstrate that most employers cannot afford to cut disability from their benefits package. (PDF)
NY Daily NewsEmployees should understand disability insurance, plan for maximizing on benefits before retirement.
Jean Chatzky, popular finance columnist, breaks down the basics of disability insurance and encourages employees to understand this benefit.
SmartMoneyThe Insurance Coverage You May Be Losing
Employers are offering less coverage for disability as benefits costs rise. The article highlights this fact, and how disability is more common than people think. (PDF)
SmartMoneyHow to Buy Disability Insurance
Statistics show that nearly one-third of all Americans will experience a disabling illness or injury preventing them to earn an income for a period of time. Given this information, disability insurance is something to consider and understand.
Wall Street JournalProtecting the American Dream
For financial security, disability insurance tops the list. Despite the odds, most Americans are not preparing for the risk of a disability and failing to protect their most valuable asset, the ability to earn an income.
Wall Street JournalPreparing for the Unexpected
The Personal Journal section of the Wall Street Journal features a special Disability Insurance article connecting the importance of "disability awareness" and financial security. The article features quotes from the CDA as a thought leader and expert resource.
CDA Articles in the News
Chicago TribuneDisability Policy Might Benefit Older Workers
Working beyond traditional retirement age is a strategy many workers say they'll use to make up for skimpy nest eggs.
NY TimesFinancial Advice Gleaned From a Day in the Hot Seat
This past Monday, I put that idea to the test, spending the afternoon in a Manhattan town house with eight wealthy men who are all members of an investment club called Tiger 21. I was there to hear an unvarnished critique of how my wife and I save, spend and think about money.
Wall Street JournalThe Disability Divide
In a way, the fact that a disproportionate percentage of Americans believe that an income-threatening disability won't happen to them affirms our basic human optimism.
Washington PostEmployers Shift Disability Costs to Workers and Trim Benefits
As annual benefit enrollment time approaches you probably aren't worried about examining your disability coverage details and costs the way you will your health insurance plan options. But you should.
Smart Money MagazineThe Disability Dilemma
Smart Money, the Wall Street Journal Magazine informs people how to protect themselves from the threat to financial security that a disability can cause.
Parade MagazineIs The American Dream Still Possible
Parade Magazine surveys Americans nationwide about their finances and outlook for the future and provides interesting statistics on living well and financial security.
CNN/MoneyFear and the Market
We all Worry about Money. Problem is, We're Scared of the Wrong Things.
CNN/MoneyOn the road to financial health
Recovering from a serious illness can give you a new perspective - and a new set of financial challenges.