What are the most common causes of disability?
Injuries at work? Freak accidents? It’s true, they happen. But the truth might surprise you.
- Illnesses like cancer, heart attack or diabetes cause the majority of long-term disabilities. Back pain, injuries, and arthritis are also significant causes.
- Most are not work-related, and therefore not covered by workers’ compensation.
- Lifestyle choices and personal behavior that lead to obesity are becoming major contributing factors.
- Musculoskeletal disorders are the #1 cause of disabilities. Examples include; arthritis, back pain, spine/joint disorders, fibromytis, etc.
- Here is a chart of claim diagnosis categories in lay language to provide clear examples of common causes of disability.